Lassi, the quintessential yogurt drink from India, is a symphony of tangy, sweet, and refreshing flavors. But why settle for the classic when you can have a tropical vacation in every sip? This coconut mango lassi recipe is here to transport your taste buds to paradise with its creamy coconut milk, sweet mango chunks, and a hint of limey zest. And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to whip up in your blender, making it the perfect quick and healthy treat for any time of day.
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt (full-fat for extra creaminess)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional, adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Whipped coconut cream
- Chopped pistachios
- Fresh mint leaves
- Lime wedges
- Prep the mango: Chop the peeled mango into chunks. If your mango is particularly ripe, you can freeze the chunks for an extra refreshing lassi.
- Blend it up: Combine all the ingredients (except garnishes) in your blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water or ice cubes if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Taste and adjust: Give your lassi a taste and adjust the sweetness with honey or maple syrup, the tanginess with lime juice, or the spice with cardamom if desired.
- Get fancy (optional): Pour your lassi into a tall glass and top it with whipped coconut cream, chopped pistachios, fresh mint leaves, or a lime wedge for an extra special touch.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use frozen mango chunks for an even thicker and frostier lassi.
- Substitute coconut yogurt for a thicker and more intense coconut flavor.
- Add a pinch of ginger or turmeric for an extra boost of flavor and health benefits.
- Get creative with garnishes! Try toasted coconut flakes, dried mango pieces, or even a drizzle of honey.
- This recipe is easily doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
So ditch the store-bought smoothies and whip up a batch of this sunshine-in-a-glass coconut mango lassi. Your taste buds (and your blender) will thank you!
Benefits of Coconut Mango Lassi:
- Probiotic Power: The yogurt in lassi is packed with probiotics, friendly bacteria that promote a healthy gut microbiome. This can aid in digestion, reduce bloating, and boost overall gut health.
- Digestive Enzymes: Mangoes contain enzymes like amylase and papain, which further assist in breaking down food and easing digestion.
- Vitamin C Boost: Mangoes are a vibrant source of vitamin C, essential for immune health, collagen production, and antioxidant protection.
- Potassium Power: Coconut milk and yogurt provide potassium, crucial for muscle function, blood pressure regulation, and fluid balance.
- Fiber Benefits: The mango and yogurt contribute fiber, aiding in digestive regularity, satiety, and blood sugar control.
- Refreshing Replenishment: With a blend of yogurt, milk, and ice, lassi offers a delicious way to stay hydrated, especially on hot days or after workouts.
- Natural Energy: The carbohydrates from mangoes and milk provide a natural energy boost, making lassi a great pick-me-up snack or post-workout recovery drink.
Cooling and Soothing:
- Spice Tamer: The yogurt’s cooling properties make lassi an excellent accompaniment to spicy dishes, helping to balance heat and soothe the palate.
- Bone Health: Mangoes contain vitamin K, which promotes bone density and health.
- Heart Health: Coconut milk’s healthy fats and potassium may support heart health.
- Antioxidant Protection: Mangoes and coconut milk contain antioxidants that help protect cells from damage.
- Vegan-Friendly: Easily adaptable to a vegan diet using plant-based yogurt and milk alternatives.
- Customizable Flavor: Experiment with different spices like cardamom, ginger, or cinnamon for added flavor and health benefits.
Overall, Coconut Mango Lassi offers a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy a refreshing treat that benefits your body in numerous ways.
Coconut Mango Lassi FAQ: Your Tropical Lassi Guide
Craving a creamy, refreshingly tropical drink? Look no further than this Coconut Mango Lassi! But if you’re new to this Indian yogurt delight, you might have some questions. Worry not, mango lassi masters, this FAQ is here to help you blend the perfect paradise in a glass!
Q: What kind of mango is best for lassi?
A: Any ripe mango will do! Choose sweet, fragrant varieties like Kent, Alphonso, or Ataulfo for the most tropical flavour. Frozen mango chunks work too, adding an extra frostier touch.
Q: Can I use regular yogurt instead of coconut yogurt?
A: Absolutely! Plain yogurt works just fine, though coconut yogurt adds a richer coconut creaminess. Play around and see what you prefer!
Q: Do I need ice cubes?
A: Ice cubes are optional, but they help achieve that classic lassi chill. If your mango is frozen, you might not need them. Use your judgment and adjust to your desired thickness.
Q: How can I make my lassi sweeter or tangier?
A: Honey or maple syrup are your sweetness saviors. For a tangy twist, adjust the lime juice to your taste. Remember, a little goes a long way!
Q: Can I make this lassi vegan?
A: You bet! Use plant-based yogurt and coconut milk alternatives for a completely dairy-free delight.
Q: What are some fun garnishes?
A: Get creative! Whipped coconut cream, chopped pistachios, fresh mint leaves, or even a lime wedge add a pop of flavour and visual flair.
Q: Can I store leftover lassi?
A: It’s best enjoyed fresh, but you can store leftover lassi in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Just be aware the texture might separate slightly.
Q: Where can I find more lassi recipes?
A: This blog post is just the tip of the lassi iceberg! Explore our website for more flavourful variations like strawberry lassi, pineapple lassi, and even savory lassi options.